"Help us to serve you"

From the SP's Desk

MAP With Police Stations

History Of District Police

           Frequently Asked Question's

These questions have been prepared on the basis of some other law enforcement sites of India and the world. Depending on the user queries regarding any of these matters the questions and responses would be updated. You are requested to put your queries through the lodge your feedback link on the left pane.

Someone has preferred a complaint against me. The police have registered it without verifying the facts. What do I do?


       Every cognizable offence reported to police is registered. The facts are verified at the investigation stage only. If the allegation is found to be false no harm will come to you.  

2. Will I get bail if I am arrested?

        If you are arrested on a bailable offence, bail is your right and the police will give you bail. If the offence is non-bailable you will be produced before the court. You need to apply to the court for bail.  

3. What is a bailable offence?
        Offences are categorized as bailable and non bailable by the Criminal Procedure Code. Serious offences are usually non bailable.
5. I am accused of a bailable offence, what do I do?
        You can surrender before the police. They are supposed to grant you bail. But if you are afraid the police will misbehave, surrender before the court through an advocate. You will be released on bail by the court. Once the case comes up for trial, you will have to defend yourself through an advocate.
6. I am accused of a non bailable offence, what do I do?
       If you surrender before the police, you would be remanded to Jail. However your application for bail may be granted if the offence alleged is relatively minor depending on other circumstances of the case. You require the services of an advocate.
7. I am accused of a serious non- bailable offence. How do I avoid being remanded to jail?
       Approach the Sessions Court, High Court or the Supreme Court for anticipatory bail. If granted, you will be released on bail once arrested.
9. Will I lose my job if I am punished?
       Depends on the terms and conditions of your job. Usually imprisonment of any period makes one ineligible for the job.
10. What are my rights as a person under arrest?
      You have to be produced before the court within 24 Hrs. You have to be told why you have been arrested. Your relative/ friend has to be informed of the arrest. For more details click on the Arrest link on the left pane.
11. What if my friend who has been arrested is not produced before the court within 24 Hrs.?
      You can approach the High Court for the writ of Habeas Corpus. But if you know where he is detained, you may approach the Magistrate Court for a Search Warrant.
12. Will the police manhandle me?
      The police can legitimately use force if you resist the attempt to arrest. Any harassment for any other purpose is illegal. In fact police are not supposed to offer inducement, threat or promise to extract confession.
13. What should I do if the police assault me in custody?
      When you are produced before the Magistrate, you should give a statement regarding this. If the police release you on bail, get admitted in a hospital and report the matter to the doctor. Later you should lodge a formal complaint either with senior police officers or with the magistrate.



1. What if my valuables are stolen?

     Go to the nearest police station and lodge a complaint. You don't have to give a written complaint. The officer at the police station will write down your complaint and register the First Information Report (FIR).


2. What if he does not register it?
       You may write down your complaint and send it to the Superintendent of Police in charge of the district. He will get it registered.
3. Will I get a receipt for my complaint?
       You are supposed to get a copy of the FIR free of cost.  If he does not  give that contact the superior officers for needful action.
4. Is there any other means of obtaining the copy of the FIR?
      Yes, make an application before the magistrate court concerned.
5. Can I get all my complaints registered?
      No. Only  cognizable criminal offences can be registered by the police.
6. What is a cognizable offence?
      Some criminal offences are categorized by law (Criminal Procedure Code or the relevant special and local laws)  as cognizable. Generally these are serious offences. Murder, rape, attack with deadly weapons, illegal constraint, detention, theft, cheating etc are common cognizable offences
7. What if I want to complain of a non-cognizable offence?
      You have to file a complaint before the magistrate through an advocate.
9. The police are not seriously investigating in to my complaint. What should I do?
      You may bring this to the notice of senior police officers. If it does not work you may approach the high court.
10. How do I know what has happened to my complaint?
       Any case, once registered will be investigated by the police. After investigation if they are not able to charge sheet the case due to any reason, they will intimate the closure of the case. If you are aggrieved  by this decision, you may approach the magistrate concerned
11. What is meant by charge sheet?
       At the end of the investigation if the police find that your complaint is right and that there is sufficient evidence to get conviction for the accused they lay a formal accusation before the court. This is called the charge sheet.
12. I complained to the police regarding theft in my house. Will they harass my servant/neighbors?
       Once a case is registered it is the responsibility of the police to investigate in to it. They are vested with the power to question, search, seize, arrest etc. What powers they should exercise and against whom it should be exercised are left to the officer concerned. It might lead to embarrassing situations. You have to bear with it, except when it is done with bad intentions in which case you can bring the matter to the notice of superior officers.

General Queries


1. I have a complaint of a civil nature. What do I do?
       You have to approach a civil court through an advocate.
2. The police are harassing me on the civil complaint of some one. What do I do?
       You can approach senior police officers. They normally help you since they have no power at all to intervene in civil disputes. If this does not work approach the high court.
3. Do I need to pay for the services of Police?
       No, Almost all services offered by police are free. NEVER pay unless you are directed to do so in writing by a competent authority. If you are fined, pay money and insist on a receipt.
4. What if the police misbehave with me?
        If the misbehavior amounts to a criminal offence approach a magistrate court through an advocate. Other wise you can report the matter to senior officers. Usually harsh action is taken against the erring officer by departmental authorities. In fact if the matter is serious police may themselves register a case against him.
5. How can I meet senior police officers?
       Every office has its own timing for receiving visitors. But normally you can walk in to any office and complain.
6. Can the police arrest without a warrant?
       Yes, police are competent to arrest anyone reasonably suspected of having committed of a cognizable offence
9. Some one harasses me constantly. He does not commit any cognizable offence. Can police do something?
      Police can use their moral authority in this situation. They can also proceed against him under provisions like 107, 110 CrPC if they are convinced that the situation may lead to a law and order problem.
10. Someone blocks the pathway to my house. What do I do?
      If it is an established road, the police will take action to ensure that the blockade is removed. But if it has something to do with a dispute regarding the right to a pathway, they are not competent to intervene.
11. Some one forcibly occupied my house. What do I do?
       Yes. But if there is a civil dispute regarding the ownership of the property police will not take any action. In any case, do inform the police.
12. Can I get the help of police to evict my tenant?
       No. Police cannot do it unless a competent magistrate directs so.




I happened to witness a crime being committed. What should I do?
         You should report the matter at the nearest police station. They will record your statement. If you are the first informant they will register the first information report (FIR) based on your statement. You will have to sign your statement. If the matter has already been registered, your statement will simply be registered and you will not be required to sign the document.
2. What are the inconveniences I can expect as a witness?
        You could be questioned repeatedly by the police to iron out inconsistencies and contradictions if any. This is especially true if the offence is of a serious nature like murder or dacoity. You might be required to attend the court many times. If you refuse to attend, you could be arrested on a warrant. Inconvenient questions may be put to you by the defense counsel.
3. Then why should I become a witness?
       As a citizen it is your duty to help administer the criminal justice system.
4. If I forget what I have seen.
        When you depose before the court you are supposed to tell the truth, you are expected to tell the truth. If you have forgotten, you can tell that
5. Should I tell the same story as I told the police?

      If you have told the truth, there can be no confusion. In any case you have to tell the truth before the court irrespective of what you told the police. But if there are differences between your versions before the police and the court, the court will be reluctant to place faith in your version. 

6. What will happen if I lie before the court?
       You can be prosecuted for perjury.
7. What will happen if I lie before the police?
       If you are the first informant and if you have deliberately lied to the police, you could be prosecuted. If you are only a witness (not the first informant) nothing can be done against you for lying. Your statement is not even signed. What you tell the police is noted down with out your signature. You can disown it without any problem. But you lose your credibility.
8. The police are harassing me by calling me to police station many times simply because I happened to witness the crime. What should I do?
       You can report to the senior police officers. They will ensure that you are not harassed unnecessarily.
9. I am afraid the accused will take revenge on me for deposing against him in the court. Can I get police protection?
       Do report the matter to the police. You will not get any serious protection, unless the police feel that you face a genuine threat.
10. Will some one help me in the court?
      Meet the public prosecutor before the court assembles. He will refresh your memory and help you.
11. What is the procedure at the court?
      You attend the court in time. Go to the box when your name is called. Repeat the oath read out to you. After this the public prosecutor will ask you questions which you have to answer. This is called examination in chief. Once this is over the defense counsel will cross-examine you.

What if scandalous questions are asked?

      Keep your cool and try to answer briefly. If the question is irrelevant, the magistrate or the judge is supposed to disallow it. They may or may not do it.

















Web Site Designed , Developed & Hosted By
National Informatics Centre, Gopalganj, Bihar-841428
Content Provided by , Gopalganj District Police, Bihar.